If you are using Shopify themes 1.0
If you install Judge.me on Shopify themes 1.0 (e.g. Debut or any themes where you can't add the Apps functionality using Shopify's theme editor), we need to access your Shopify theme files to:
- Add Judge.me snippet files to activate the Judge.me widgets (such as Review Widget and Preview Badge stars).
- Edit your theme files and add the widget code snippets so that Judge.me widgets can be displayed on your storefront.
If you are using Shopify themes 2.0
If you are using Shopify themes 2.0 (e.g. Dawn or any themes where you can add the Apps functionality using Shopify's theme editor), we can add the Review Widget and Preview Badge stars on Product Pages automatically, without inserting the widget code snippets to your theme files. However, Shopify's new theme structure hasn't enabled us to install all widgets in this way. In this case, we still need to edit your theme files to install widgets such as the Preview Badge on Collection Pages, Medals and Verified Review Badge on the Footer.
There are two ways that you can grant us permission to update your theme files (only apply to stores using Shopify themes 2.0):
1. Allow us to update your theme files during the onboarding process
During the onboarding process, you can install three main widgets: Review Widget on product page, Preview Badge on product page, and Preview Badge on collection page. At the moment, we need to update your theme files to install the Preview Badge on collection page (even if you are using themes 2.0). Therefore, to install this widget during onboarding, please check the box "I allow Judge.me to update my theme files to install widgets". Otherwise, we won't be able to install this widget.
In some rare cases, automated installation of Review Widget and Preview Badge on product page might not work. We'll then install these widgets by accessing your theme files if you agree to grant us permission, or you can install them manually in Shopify's theme editor.
2. Allow us to update your theme files in settings
You can revisit the theme updating option in Settings > Advanced > Theme Code Updating. If you have allowed us to update your theme files during the onboarding process (to install the Preview Badge on collection page), the option is turned on and will remain turned on even if you change your theme. It means that we can also install any other widgets that involve updating the theme files, such as the Medals and Verified Reviews Count Badge on the Footer.
If you don't want us to access your theme files anymore, you can turn off this option.
- If theme code updating is turned off, we can't edit or add more codes to your theme files, but the codes added before still remain. If you want to remove the codes, please ask us to remove them before turning off theme code updating, or remove the code yourselves.
- If theme code updating is turned off, and you change into another theme 2.0, we won't be able to install any widgets. If you change into a theme 1.0, we can install other widgets normally.
Judge.me snippet files and widget code snippets may remain after you uninstall us. This shouldn't affect your store, but if you want to remove them completely, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or remove them yourselves following this guide.
Example of the Judge.me snippet files
Example of widget code snippets