Ready to showcase your reviews and collect even more? Check the Review Widget 101 guide now. In this article, we'll show you how to install and customize your Review Widget to make the most of this feature.
1. What is the Review Widget?
The Review Widget is our core widget that is required to collect and show your product reviews. It is the social proof widget that your buyers expect on your product page and allows them to evaluate your product but also get additional information on top of your product description. The Review Widget is part of our Forever Free plan.
2. Review Widget installation
The onboarding process will take you through installing the Review Widget. If you enable the Review Widget, it is automatically added to the bottom of your template/product liquid file.
If you haven't installed it during the onboarding process, you can enable it later in the settings. The Review Widget will be manually positioned by our Theme Concierge, so please wait for minutes or a few hours to see the actual change in your theme. Learn how to install the widget manually.
3. Review Widget customization
If you are on the Awesome plan, you have various options to customize the appearance of your Review Widget:
- Widget Themes: You can choose among 3 themes to feature different aspects of reviews in Settings > Review Widget > Widget Themes.
- Widget Design: You can customize the design of your Review Widget in Settings > Review Widget. This includes changing the star color, the header bar chart, the format of the timestamps, shop and review details, etc, as well as adding pictures and videos. Finally, you can make changes directly using CSS if you prefer. Learn more about widget design settings in this helpdesk.
- If you would like to change the position of the Review Widget, or if it's not appearing in your theme for any reason, just write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will manually go over your case and help you.
We recommend that you turn auto-publish off, restrict web reviews to prevent spam. If you would like to keep the web reviews setting on, what you can do is to turn on the web reviews spam filter (awesome only). You can access these settings under Settings > Review Widget > Review Curation.
- Restrict review creation: This hides the “write-a-review” button so it is not possible to leave a review via the widget on the website. Reviews creation is restricted to (a) verified buyers from our review requests, or (b) programmatically via API.
- Heavy restriction enabled. In addition to the above (“write-a-review” button hidden), API requests are also disabled, so spammers with bots/code that target shops will not be able to create fake reviews.
- Enable web reviews spam filter: When you enable this, Judge.me will detect and filter out spam reviews coming from the "write-a-review" form on your webpages as well as via API using a third party spam filter. This is an Awesome only feature. You can use this setting to filter out spam if you want to continue to allow review creation via the web and API (so if you want to be less restrictive and disable the two settings above).
If you are under attack, reach out to us at email@example.com and we will help you.
- Besides the in-email review form (Single Review Email Template), the Review Widget is the only way for your buyers to enter a review. Also, it serves as a fallback for the in-email review form.
- Review pictures can only be submitted via the Review Widget.
- The structured data for AggregateRating is held by the Review Widget and is required for showing Rich Snippets with review data in Google organic search.
- We also have a more detailed article that covers troubleshooting across a few different cases.